Friday 26th to Sunday 28th February 2021

Friday 26th February 2021 - Pound Green Common

Today's weather conditions were sunny and mild so I headed over to Pound Green Common to look for reptiles.  Adder was my target species but sadly I had no joy on this occasion.  That said I did see my first basking Common Lizard of the year which made the walk worthwhile.  

Common Lizard (Zootoca vivipara)


Also of note at Pound Green was a male Linnet back on territory busily singing away.  

Linnet (Linaria cannabina)


A feature I  like at Pound Green Common is the old moss covered ant hills of the Yellow Meadow Ant.  They make for a really interesting feature at the site.

Yellow Meadow Ant (Lasius flavus) ant hills


Saturday 27th February 2021 - Stone

The nice mild weather continued and on visiting the Heath Lane area of Stone I saw my first butterfly species of the year, a Small Tortoiseshell. That said there was very little else of note during my able around.

Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae)



Sunday 28th February 2021 - Hartlebury Common

For a third consecutive day the nice weather continued and for today's walk I visited Hartlebury Common.  It was great to see that the water levels were back up at The Bog and both a Moorhen and a pair of Mallards were present. On the nearby Rush Pool a second pair of Mallards were present.  

The Bog at Hartlebury Common


Whilst walking the Common I decided to check on a few of the reptile mats to see if they were still in situ and was surprised to find an early instar Oak Eggar moth caterpillar basking on one.  Result! and the undoubted species of the visit.

Oak Eggar (Lasiocampa quercus) larva



No comments:

Post a Comment