Wednesday 10th to Tuesday 16th March 2021

Wednesday 10th March 2021 - Spennells Valley NR and Stone

On my way out today I decided to pay a quick visit to Spennells Valley NR to see if there was any activity at a Nuthatch nest site I have watched for the past 3 years.  On arrival at the site I was greeted by the sound of a Nuthatch calling and shortly after one approached the nest hole and started tidying up the mud around the wholes entrance.  Nuthatches use holes in large, mature deciduous trees to build there nest in and will often plaster mud around the entrance hole until it meets their opening size requirement.

Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) - 10th March 2021


From Spennells I then headed over to Heath Lane (Stone) to see if much was happening on the bird front.  It was very quiet compared to usual but a female Kestrel was showing fairly well at the model aircraft field.

Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) - 10th March 2021


Monday 15th March 2021 - Hartlebury Common

Today, the wife and I decided to take a walk around Hartlebury Common.  As always I was on the look out for invertebrates and even though the weather was mild and sunny but sadly the butterflies were somewhat lacking.  That said along the embankment we did encounter a number of  Ophion scutellaris Ichneumon Wasps.   

Ichneumon Wasp (Ophion scutellaris) - 15th March 2021



At the SE side of the Common we heard our first Chiffchaff of the year singing from the Oak wood.  For me hearing my first Chiffchaff of the year is the herald of Spring.   Also in the Oak wood was an unusually obliging Jay who stayed put long enough for me to take a quick photograph.

Jay (Garrulus glandarius) - 15th March 2021


Tuesday 16th March 2021 - Stone/Summerfield

This afternoon I paid another visit to the farm that I've been invited to record at.  During my amble around I could hear good numbers of Skylark singing and was pleased to see a single Corn Bunting perched up on the fence at the rear of the farm.

At the Pine tree paddock there were 2 Lesser Redpolls perched up in the trees and incredibly a male Common Crossbill that was perched up near one of the Larches.  This was a patch first, the first time I have seen one of these at the Stanklyn/Stone area in 14 years of birdwatching and wildlife recording around here!  They do occur in the Wyre Forest and a few over winter at Eymore Wood near Trimpley most years but to see one in an arable area was incredible!

Common Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra) male - Tuesday 16th March 2021




No comments:

Post a Comment