Tuesday 2nd to Sunday 7th March 2021

Tuesday 2nd March 2021 - Stone

There were 6 Lesser Redpolls still present along Heath Lane this afternoon showing reasonably well in the sunshine and periodically feeding on the weedy vegetation at the edge of the model aircraft field. Also showing well in the sunshine was a humble Dunnock.  An often overlooked species but I like them.

Lesser Redpoll (Acanthis cabaret)




Dunnock (Prunella modularis)


Friday 5th March 2021 - Stone/Summerfield

Today I visited an area of private farmland which falls within my local patch that I have been very kindly given permission to record the birds and wildlife on.  I won't elaborate as to where this is or name the farm as I respect the farmer's privacy but I will share with you some off the wildlife I see there in this blog.  

Notable arable birds recorded included 9 Skylarks and 5 Meadow Pipits.  Also of note were 14 Redwings and surprisingly a Grey Wagtail that was flitting about near the manure piles.

Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea)


Sunday 7th March 2021 - Hartlebury Common

Today, I thought I would take advantage of the continuing fine weather and visit Hartlebury Common to look for some early Spring invertebrates.  It was actually a lot quieter on that front than I had hoped for although, on the Lower Poolands area, I did record quite a few Pine Ladybirds, a 7-spot Ladybird & a Gorse Shieldbug amongst the Gorse.

Pine Ladybird (Exochomus quadripustulatus)



Gorse Shieldbug (Piezodorus lituratus) & 7-spot Ladybird (Coccinella septempunctata)


2 comments: