Wednesday 27th and Thursday 28th January 2021

Wednesday 27th January 2021 - Spennells Valley NR

I started my ramblings today at Spennells Valley Nature Reserve in Kidderminster.  It was actually pretty quiet on the wildlife front although I did pick up on a Nuthatch singing away from a tree top along Hoo Brook.  By the looks of him, all wet and bedraggled, I think he had not long took a dip to have a wash.  

Nuthatch (Sitta europaea)



Also of interest along the brook was a rather nice clump of Snowdrops that I hadn't noticed previously.

Snowdrop (Galanthus nivalis)












Wednesday 27th January 2021 - Stone

From the reserve I headed over to check the fields at Stone.  At Heath Lane I observed a good mix of birds with highlights being:  6 Lesser Redpoll, 2 Meadow Pipits, 19 Pied Wagtail, 1 Skylark and around 100 Linnets.  

Lesser Redpoll (Acanthis cabaret)


Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis)


A Common Buzzard was also present perched up along the hedgerow.

Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo)


Thursday 28th January 2021 - Greatfield Road Allotments

Whilst working at my allotment today I saw my first Pine Ladybird of the year.  This diminutive beetle was warming up in the sunshine. Better still it was a site first for me taking my total ladybird species for the plot up to 9 alongside Adonis, 2-spot, 7-spot, 14-spot, 16-spot, 22-spot, 24-spot & Harlequin.  The more ladybirds I have on the plot the better as they really are are nature's pest control as they are voracious predators of aphids.

Pine Ladybird (Exochomus quadripustulatus)





2 comments: