Wednesday 15th September 2010 - Shenstone & Grimley

On my rounds around Shenstone this morning I picked up 2 Yellow Wagtails. One flew over Heath Lane going East at 9:30am. The 2nd was in the large ploughed field along Witch Lane with 22 Pied Wagtails, 12 Linnets and a Meadow Pipit. A Chiffchaff was in the trees next to the Islamic School along Heath Lane and c.60 Starlings were also present.



From Shenstone i popped to Grimley New Workings to see the juvenile Black Tern that arrived there yesterday. On arriving at the Causeway I was greeted what can only be described as a ball of hirrundines., with c.200 House Martins, 2 Sand Martins and 3 Swallows present. A Swift was also seen over the field on the east side of the pits. The juvenile Black Tern was still present and at 11:45 am a 2nd juvenile Black Tern dropped in and stayed. Also present were 2 Greenshank, 3 Little Egrets and 6 Common Snipe.

Whilst at Grimley New Workings I received a call letting me know that a fellow Worcestershire Birder (Andy Warr) had just had a Grey Phalarope circle over the Old Workings and fly towards the Wagon Wheel Lane pits. I headed back to my car and across to the Wagon wheel Lane pits. On approaching (AW) waved to me that it was still there. The Phalarope seemed quite unsettled at first and took off and flew over the pit a few times but eventually settled and was present till mid afternoon. This scarce passage wader was a 1st winter bird. I have posted a couple of distant record shots below. A Greenshank was also present at Wagon Wheel pits.

Grey Phalarope - Grimley 15th September 2010:

No comments:

Post a Comment