Tuesday 24th January 2012 - Local Birds

Today was a messy day due to having a couple of appointments to go to during the day.  But, being a typical birder I did cram in a bit of time here and there.

For my second appointment (late morning) I drove down to Kidderminster town centre and parked on the Weavers Wharf retail park carpark.  A quick glance at the old carpet mill chimney stack and I quickly picked up on what I was hoping for, a stunning ♂ Peregrine was perched on top.  I grabbed my bins from the car and enjoyed the bird for a few minutes before heading off for my appointment.  It was still present and showing well when I returned an hour later.

I then decided to pop a few miles up the road to Eymore Wood to have a look for the Crossbills that have been showing there the past week or so.  I was in luck, on pulling up at the top carpark I got out my car and there they were in the Larches right next to the information board.  In total I counted 9 Common Crossbills (4♂).  The carpark was empty and I spent a good half hour enjoying these glorious finches on my own before heading back.  Also present near the carpark were 6 Siskins and 8 Goldcrests...no Firecrest mind...but you have to check ;-)

Common Crossbills - Eymore Wood
(photos from my archive)


12 comments:

  1. I will look out for the Peregrine the next time I park at Weavers Walk Jason, what a great sighting for you! Great news with the Crossbills too, you have given me an idea of where to go on Sunday! Super archive images on this post and enjoyable reading and images on your recent postings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam. Its def worth having a look at the Crossbills. The photos above were from the same location in December 2009. There were around 40 present there that wwinter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crossbills! What a treat, unfortunately I missed some locally last year. You had a good day with those and the Peregrine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent stuff, and great use of time Jason, love the light on the male Crossbill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good bit of 'off the cuff' birding Jase. I hope to get a Crossbill actually come down on my patch, rather than just flyover - need more Larches!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan - It was an excellent day all things considered.

    Alan - Cheers...they are stunning birds when the light catches them

    Warren - yeah it was a bit off an off the cuff kind of day. I'm still after Crosbill (flyover or otherwise) for my Shenstone lisr,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I managed to see two female Crossbills at Eyemore on a very quick visit this afternoon Jason. Hoping for a longer spell there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jason, thanks to your blog we made a trip out to Eymore today to see if we could see the Crossbills, we bumped into who I guess was Pam at the Car Park. Who was also Crossbill hunting. Just before Pam arrived we heard them but couldn't find them. So went for a good long walk, with fingers crossed, but no luck this time. Anyway thanks again Eymore is a new location for us and we loved it. I will post to my blog later with details (http://blackcountrybirder.blogspot.com),

    Cheers
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam - I'm glad you caught up with a couple of them. Who knows how many you will see next visit.

    Tom - Thanks very much. I'm glad you enjoyed Eymore, it also an interesting place in Spring and well worth a visit at that time of year. I've recorded Wood Warbler, Tree Pipit and Goshawk there in the past. P.s. I've now started following you blog and will add it to my llinks later

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was me who Tom and Tina bumped into. A pity you didn't connect with any Crossbills Tom. We had a few (distant views)in the trees down by the gate that leads to a cottage (forgot the name) also a small flock of Redpoll! I will also start following your blog Tom.
    I hope you do not mind me chatting away on your blog Jason. Hope yopu had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops..yopu should be 'you'!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a problem Pam. The comments are a place for open conversation for any of the blog readers

    ReplyDelete