Monday 27th February - Shenstone

I managed to grab an enjoyable couple of hours around the patch this afternoon.  It was good to get back there after recent 'away days' and it proved fairly productive.

I started my visit with a quick whistle stop to Witch Lane where, on arrival, I was treated to cracking views of ♂ Sparrowhawk.  Also noted in this area were a Common Buzzard and 5 Stock Doves.  3 Skylarks were up singing.

Next stop was Heath Lane where 27 Fieldfare were in the trees between the paddock and the Islamic School.  At the model aircraft field there were a ♀ Kestrel and 2 Common Buzzards present.  c.80 Starling were over the playing fields at the Islamic School.

I rounded my visit of by parking on Stanklyn Lane and walking to Captains Pool and back.  This was by far the most productive area as a large mixed finch/bunting flock was feeding on the adjacent ploughed field.  Panning through them I counted 31 Corn Bunting, 14 Yellowhammer, 17 Greenfinch, 1 Goldfinch and c.60 Chaffinch.  Also feeding on the plough were a flock of 23 House Sparrows.  I was going to get some video footage panning through this large flock but, just as I had set up, a dog walker came along with their dog off the lead and spooked them...grrrrr!  

Along the footpath to Captains I also noted a Jay, 2 Long-tailed Tits and a Wren.  The pool itself was fairly quiet but the pair of Great Crested Grebes were still present and occasionally displaying.  A Domestic Goose was a new arrival at the pool.....exciting eh?

Domestic Goose
(can you feel the photographic barrel being scraped!)

8 comments:

  1. He/she is not a common goose, he/she is quite handsome. It is a stance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have a Bunting/finch flock of that size Jase - a thing of great rarity here now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly was a productive day but I can imagine your frustration at the dog walker.

    I had to laugh at your comment about the photo :-) A handsome looking bird anyway. It's such a difficult time of year for photography, really dreary here today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are brill Corn Bunting and House Sparrow counts Jason. A good species list all told! I like the look of your new arrival, a smart goose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob, Tom & Tina - You have a point..it may be feral but it is quite a good looking bird

    Warren - It is good to see large finch/bunting flocks here still. I only wish there was a few Brambling with them this winter!

    Jan - Your right, the light is so poor for photography this time of year!

    Pam - Yes its pleasing to have such good numbers of Corn Bunting and House Sparrow locally

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Domestic Goose
    (can you feel the photographic barrel being scraped!)"

    You took the words right out of my mouth, Jason ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha...I thought someone would appreciate the sarcasm Dean

    ReplyDelete