The 'wider patch' and beyond....

Sunday 19th January 2014

Shenstone:
Today I had received a text from my old mate Jared 'Bellamy' Tibbetts informing me that he had encountered the winter Corn Bunting flock in the field known as the beet field off Stanklyn Lane, and had counted 34 Corn Bunting.

I headed down there an hour or so later and walked the fields but, sods law, there was no sign.  That said I did flush 7 Meadow Pipits, 2 Skylarks and c.50 Linnet.  Also noted during this walk were 1 Fieldfare, 11 Redwing, 1 Mistle Thrush, 6 Blackbirds, 1 Jay, 2 Robins and 4 Dunnock.

Another flock of c.80 Linnets were present further along Stanklyn Lane towards Summerfield.

At Stanklyn Lane Paddocks a large mixed flock of Fieldfare and Redwing were feeding on the deck.

There was not much was happening over at Witch lane but for the seemingly ever present Grey Heron sat in the field.

Hartlebury:
From the patch I headed a mile or so down the road to check the pools at Hartlebury.  The drake Mandarin was again present on the larger pool and 74 Lapwing were present in the adjacent field.  The Little Grebe was again present on one of the two smaller pools just down the lane

Little Grebe - Hartlebury















Thursday 23rd January 2014
A pair of Goosander were present on Captains Pool this afternoon and left shortly before dusk (TS).

Friday 24th January 2014

Captains Pool:
I received a message today from my old mate and general all round curmudgeon Tony Smith today informing me that there was both a Goosander and a drake Pochard present on Captains Pool.  Both of these species are good winter birds at the pool with Pochard being very scarce these days.  The last one at Captains was on 4th March 2012, so needless to say I headed over there.

On arriving I managed to pick up both the Goosander and the Pochard.  In fact the Pochard was being typically Pochard-like and kept its head tucked in the whole time I was there!   A Lesser Black-backed Gull, 4 Black-headed Gulls, 2 Coots and a Moorhen were also of note on the pool.

Whilst I was stood at the edge of the pool a Treecreeper landed on a nearby Oak and a Goldcrest was seen flitting around in an adjacent Alder.

Pochard - Captains Pool
(record shot)















Goosander - Captains Pool
(record shot)















Hartlebury:
From Captains Pool I headed over to the pools at Hartlebury to see if anything interesting had turned up there.  Today there was no sign of the Little Grebe, Mandarin or Lapwing.  Infact the only bird of note was the Barnacle Goose which had showed up again with 22 Canada Geese.

Barnacle Goose - Hartlebury 
(record shot)

No comments:

Post a Comment