Saturday 29th March 2014 - Shenstone

Finally, the wheels of this blog have started turning again....

As today was exceptionally warm and sunny I decided to spend some time 'on patch' looking at the inverts. I started my visit on Heath Lane where a great selection of insects were on show including many Dock Bugs and Pied Shieldbugs present.  Ladybirds were also well represented with many 7-spot Ladybirds on the nettles and a single Harlequin Ladybird also noted.

Dock Bug (Coreus marginatus)















Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis)














The high point at Heath Lane though came in the form of a double header.  On one of the railway sleepers, in the fence next to the paddock, there was a Ruby Tiger larvae present.  On closer inspection I also noticed that there was a tiny 16-spot Ladybird next to it (only my 2nd record of this species on the patch).

Ruby Tiger (Phragmatobia fuliginosa) larva & 16-spot Ladybird (Tytthaspis 16-punctata)














From Heath Lane I headed to Butts lane where things were very quiet on the insect front.  That said I did pick up on a ♂ Northern Wheatear along the path across the field but unfortunately it was flushed by a dog walker before I could get a record shot...tsssk!  Ah well it was my first for the patch for 2014 so shouldn't moan



4 comments:

  1. I really wish I could be bothered to write this stuff. Crackin bud once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Chris...much appreciated mate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad luck with the Wheatear shot Jason. Look forward to seeing the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Phil! Yes I have fared better since mate

    ReplyDelete