Wednesday 13th January 2021 and Friday 15th January 2021

Wednesday 13th January 2021

Today I visited Captain's Pool with the hope of possibly connecting with the pair of Goosander that my friend and fellow blogger Dave Williams (aka Spennells Pensioner) had seen there the previous day. Goosander on Captains are usually one day birds, so I didn't hold out much hope.   On arrival I was in luck.  Not only was the pair present but they had now been joined by 2 more drakes, with all 4 Goosander giving reasonable views until an angler arrived and started casting out and they were soon off. 

Goosander (drakes) - 13th December 2021















Goosander (drake & female) - 13th December 2021

























From the pool I headed over the fields where a sizeable flock of c.600 Linnet and around 200 Chaffinch were still present.  

Aside from the birds I also recorded a nice little clump of Velvet Shank fungi growing out of an old log.  It certainly gave a splash of colour on an otherwise dull day.

Velvet Shank (Flammulina velutipes) - 13th January 2021

























Friday 15th January 2021
This morning I had a "garden first" when 4 Lesser Redpoll flew into my Silver Birch and joined the 9 Goldfinch that were present there.  After a short while the Goldfinches flew leaving just the Redpolls allowing me to get good binocular views.  I then decided to go and grab my camera, at which point they flew (doh!).  Still it was great seeing them and it was my first garden record in 17 years of living at this address.

No comments:

Post a Comment