Monday 5th July 2010, Titterstone Clee Hill

Today I decided to go to the Shropshire Hills and spent a few hours up at Titterestone Clee Hill. This is an amazing place that has been shaped by years of quarrying and is a fantastic viewpoint. Today, being a clear day, I could see across to the Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains in Wales.

Titterstone Clee is one of the few places I know in the Midlands area where Wheatears breed and today I saw 12 (8 of which were juvenile birds). I also saw 9 Kestrels, 6 Ravens and 5 Pied Wagtails (2 juveniles). Meadow Pipits and Linnets were numerous there.

I was pleasantly surprised to see many Small Heath butterflies, 30+ in the area which I walked around. 2 Small Tortoiseshell were also seen.

Juvenile Wheatears - Clee Hill, 5th July 2010:

Small Heath - Clee Hill, 5th July 2010:

No comments:

Post a Comment