Tuesday 29th March 2011 - Clee Hill, Shropshire

Today, after completing my voluntary work for Forest Dog rescue, I decided to pop to Titterstone Clee Hill. I was already across the county border into Shropshire so it was only another 20 minutes or so away.

I'm glad I popped up here as I picked up 2 stunning 'morning suit' ♂ Northern Wheatears and 4 Stonechats (1♂). At one location where a pair of Stonechats were present I watched a colour ringed female collecting nest material and disappearing off into the gorse. It's great to know that there are still breeding birds around after the harsh couple of winters we've had.

Also seen were 6 Ravens, 2 Common Buzzards, a handful of Linnets and good numbers of Meadow Pipits.

<Seeing the Wheatears and Stonechats today has whet my appetite to get back around the patch tomorrow looking for spring migrants. I think it does you good to have an away day now and then. By giving yourself a break from the patchch and bit of birding variety it keeps things fresh. Ultimately you end up wanting to get round your patch all the more...just in case that mega turns up.

Stonechats - Clee Hill, 29th March 2011:

2 comments:

  1. Really brilliant, you caught the Stonechat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Jase. Well done on the early Yellow wagtail too mate :-)

    ReplyDelete