Thursday 10th April 2014 - Habberley Valley NR

Today I popped back to Habberley Valley to have another butchers at the Adders.  On today's visit there were less showing and I only recorded 3 Adders (2♂,1♀) in total.  One of the males was showing well but the other male was cuddled up next to the female and they both  disappeared into the undergrowth after seeing me.

Adder (Vipera berus) ♂














Adder (Vipera berus) ♀ ...honest guv














Whilst checking out the various areas of the valley I noticed an insect crawling over the leaf litter.  I immediately recognised it and was absolutely chuffed to bits...it was a Glow Worm larva.  On speaking to a friend of mine who works for the rangers service,  it turns out that Glow Worms had been historically recorded at the site but not for many many years.  Result!  I may have to pop back later in the year at dusk with me torch in a hope of recording the light emitting adult females.

Glow Worm (Lampyris noctiluca) larva















The number of Chiffchaffs singing in the valley had also increased with one of these vocal little leaf warblers being particularly showy.

Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita)

No comments:

Post a Comment