Thursday 14th July 2011 - Shenstone

I hadn't got much time to spare today and with things fairly quiet on the bird front I decided to continue building up a picture of the patch flora.  I focused on the area at the edge of Stanklyn Lane beet field today.

Whilst at the beet field I was pleased to see and hear singing an adult Willow Warbler in the hedgerow.  This is particularly pleasing as Willow Warblers are not a breeding bird on the patch.  With yesterday's Lesser Whitethroat and today's Willow Warbler I just get the feeling that there is a little bit of movement on the warbler front.

Not much to butterfly wise in this area other than 1 Red Admiral, 1 Comma, 1 Holly Blue and a handful of Whites.  I did however record a  Pied Hoverfly (Scaeva pyrastri) next to the pull in along Barrs Lane half hour or so before.  This is a species that I haven't recorded in the area before so it was a pleasing sighting.

As for the flora, I added to the growing patch list Field Pansy, Black Horehound and White Dead Nettle.  So all in all it was an hour well spent.

Pied Hoverfly (Scaeva pyrastri)















Comma















Black Horehound



















Field Pansy

3 comments:

  1. Superb composition of the Comma, Jaason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willow Warblers no longer breed here either Jase, i'm hoping for a few to pass through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dean..I was dead pleased with the shot when I got back home and looked at it on the pc.

    I'm sure you will pick up a few Autumn passage Willow Warblers Warren. Grasshopper Warbler is high on my annual patch wish list....no joy there as yet though!

    ReplyDelete