Saturday 17th March - Shenstone

This morning I popped for my first proper visit to the patch in over a week.  I was hoping to perhaps hear my first patch Chiffchaff of the year or even pick up an early Wheatear.  I had no joy on either but it was an enjoyable visit all the same.

I started off by scanning the paddocks along Stanklyn Lane.  Here there were 15 Redwing, 2 Fieldfare and 5 Skylark present.  Further down the lane in the scarified field were  11 Corn Buntings, 4 Yellowhammers, c.60 Chaffinch and 3 Greenfinch.  A Common Buzzard was up over Stanklyn Wood.

At Heath Lane there was still a flock of c.100 Linnet present.  A Kestrel and 3 Skylark were also noted.

The Butts Lane/Barrs Lane area was quiet although a Stock Dove and 11 Linnet were on the plough.  I also observed a pair of Long-tailed Tits gathering nest material.

The days highlight however came from Witch Lane where a single Curlew was present in the grassy field behind the fishery.  Also noted along Witch Lane were 2 Common Buzzard, 1 Yellowhammer, 1 Wren and a Pied Wagtail.

Curlew - 17th March 2012




Click on image to enlarge

6 comments:

  1. Nice one regards the Curlew, Jason. I`ve been hoping for a flyover one, for the year, but no luck as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased that your patch walk was so productive Jason especially with the Curlew as a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curlew, and on the deck, well good Jase :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dean - Cheers. I'm sure you will get a flyover Curlew soon given your proximity to Old Moor

    Pam - It was a productive day and the Curlew was the iceing on the cake but in all honesty, even if I had seen little, I would have enjoyed the walk....it was just great to get back out there!

    Warren - Yes it was the first of the year. Last year I had a pair on thepatch for most of March. I had hoped they may breed butno such joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well done with the Curlew Jason and on getting a photo.

    I have no idea how I missed commenting on your last post, I know I read it because I was very envious of your lovely Skylark photo, great to catch it on video too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Jan - I was dead pleased with the photos and video of that somewhat obliging Skylark

    ReplyDelete