Wednesday 12th Jan 2011 - Shenstone

Before I go on with my blog entry for today I would just like to mention a couple of sightings by others from the patch today. A Common Snipe was flushed from a stubble field just of Witch Lane (Mike Southall) - this is a patch first and an excellent record. Also, 5+ Corn Buntings were seen on a hedgerow at the sheep field along Stanklyn Lane (Jared Tibbets).

Today, Tony very kindly taxied me around so that we could do the a good tour of the patch. We started on Witch Lane where the flock of 30+ Yellowhammers were again located near the former grain store. Also whilst on Witch Lane 25 Lapwings flew over heading WNW. 3 Pied Wagtails were also seen.

From Witch Lane we headed over to Heath Lane where a flock of c.60 Redwings & 10 Fieldfares were present. A charm of 30 Goldfinch were also seen near the paddock. C40. Greenfich, 6 Goldfinch and a Chaffinch were in the orchard at the top of Witch Lane.

Final stop was Stanklyn Lane where we walked through the beet field to Captains Pool and back. Small numbers of Linnet were seen in an otherwise quiet beet field. The path down to Captains was more productive though with a Brambling, c.40 Chaffinch and 10+ Goldfinch present. Captains pool was relatively quiet with the highlights being 17 Black-headed Gulls and a ringed Mute Swan. The Mute Swan didn't have a darvic colour ring but it did have a metal ring (W16329) on its left leg. I have forwarded these details on to the BTO and I will let you know the results when I find out. Also present in the trees near Captains was a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

2 comments:

  1. Well done with the first patch sipe jase, a scarce bird on my patch too, until this last couple of harsh winters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Warren, its a great addition to the list....I just need to find one myself now!

    ReplyDelete