Saturday 17th September 2011 - Shenstone

After having a couple of back to back 'off patch' days I thought that I would put some time in around Shenstone.

I started my visit on Witch Lane where a flock of c.80 Greenfinch were present feeding in the brassica field.  4 Swallows flew over heading SE and a single Hornet was also seen.

At Heath Lane paddocks I had 9 Swallow and 1 House Martin over.  A Red Admiral and a Comma were also seen in this area.

A Jay, a Green Woodpecker and a single Meadow Pipit were notable along Stanklyn Lane.  I decided to walk the path that runs from Stanklyn Lane to Captains Pool and saw a rather tatty Speckled Wood and 2 Migrant Hawker dragonflies.  I then walked around the outside edge of the privately owned Stanklyn Wood where 2 Nuthatch and 18 Long-tailed Tits were noted.  I also picked up another Comma and a 3rd Migrant Hawker here.

My final stop was Butts Lane.  Whilst walking the lane I had another Meadow Pipit flyover.  2 Common Buzzards were up soaring and a juvenile Kestrel was perched in the dead tree along the lane.  The highlight of today's visit though was when an 'old friend' put in an appearance.  The juvenile Black Redstart was once again showing at Eastfields Farm.  This is the first sighting of the bird since Friday 9th September.  Although to be honest he has probably been knocking around the derelict buildings behind the farm (a former World War 2 refugee camp).  I managed to get some new photos today, so I've attached one below.

Black Redstart




Click on image to enlarge








Red Admiral

4 comments:

  1. Nice one Jase, and I thought the Blackred was on its way here !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking angle on the Red Admiral, Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright Jason,

    Managed to see this cracking bird this morning, nice one on the find!

    Just wondering what makes you say that it's a juv and not a 2cy+ bird?

    Cheers
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warren...no chance mate.

    Cheers Dean...I was well pleased with my Red Admiral shots mate.

    Tim...When I first found the bird it still retained some of the spotting on it and had a number of downy feathers. It has matured as the past 2 weeks have gone on. Steve Whitehouse reckons its the youngest bird he has seen in Worcestershire. Hope this answers your question

    ReplyDelete