Tuesday 25th October 2011 - Shenstone

After yesterday's fairly disappointing walks, I decided to cover a couple of different areas around the patch.

I started by walking some of the public footpath's of Witch Lane to view the fields from a different angle.  This proved very worthwhile as I picked up 11 Lapwing in one of the fields and had a flock of 9 Golden Plover fly over heading West.  Also present were 2 coveys of Red-legged Partridge (one of 18 and another of 7). Also present were 8 Fieldfare, c.30 Skylark, 1 Yellowhammer and a light-phase Common Buzzard.

Next stop was Heath Lane where, shortly after arriving, a Little Owl was calling.  Another highlight here was a flock of 13 Siskin that flew over heading South.  A Small Tortoiseshell butterfly was also on the wing.

My final walk was along the edge of the private woodland surrounding Stanklyn House (2 sides of which can be viewed from Stanklyn Lane).  Initially it seemed pretty quiet except for a single Jay.   Then I noticed a single finch perched at the top of a bare tree.  I raised my bins and was overjoyed to see my first Brambling of the Autumn.  The bird was a female and I spent a few minutes watching it until it flew deeper into the wood.  Ironically I hadn't taken my scope with me so I was unable to digiscope any photos...the bird was sat just right too...typical!  Also noted were a single Goldcrest and 6 Chaffinch

As I didn't manage any bird shots, here is a photo of some Red Campion along Stanklyn Lane that was still flowering out of its usual season.

Red Campion

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jason, well done on the Brambling! I've heard one or two so far this autumn but have yet to get a good view of one!!


    Regards

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Keith its always nice to see these winter finches...they are one of the highlights of this time of year

    ReplyDelete