Tuesday 22nd November 2011 - Shenstone

After my recent spell of Autumnal away days I decided to spend some time around the patch today.  The weather was dull, grey and oppressive (as you can tell by the lighting or lack of on my photos!), yet it was a very rewarding visit for the sheer variety and numbers of birds.

I started my visit at Stanklyn Lane paddocks where on arrival I picked up 7 Yellowhammers and 2 Skylarks that flew up from the weedy paddock that contains two gnarly old Ewes.  A bit further up the lane, 'redstart hedge' was absolutely chuffing with birds including a further 2 Yellowhammers, 1 Corn Bunting, 21 Redwing, 3 Fieldfare, 11 Blackbirds, 1 Goldcrest, a single Linnet and a ♀ Green Woodpecker. 4 Chaffinch and a Robin were also noted in the trees along this stretch of the lane

I then popped up to Heath Lane.  The model aircraft field was a right off as half a dozen people were in there flying planes, so I decided to head straight up to the paddock.  The trees between the Islamic college and the paddock were chuffing with birds.  The large mixed finch flock that I had encountered on my previous visit here was still present with c.200 Linnet, c.100 Greenfinch and 23 Goldfinch noted.  On the adjacent telegraph wires there were 5 Corn Buntings perched and whilst scanning the area I had a ♂ Peregrine over heading North East.

Next up was Witch Lane.  Here I decided to walk the footpath that runs towards the Droitwich Road as it is the most productive in terms of fungi.  It didn't disappoint, with Common Funnel, Field Mushroom, Honey Fungus and Wood Blewit identified and noted.  The walk also produced more birds with 81 Lapwing flying over heading West.  A single Jay and 27 Fieldfare were also recorded.

Further down the lane I picked up a covey of 17 Red-legged Partridge and 2 cock Pheasants in the large winter wheat field.  9 Cormorants were perched in the trees behind Willow Marsh Fishery.  2 Mistle Thrush and a Meadow Pipit were also noted.

My final stop was the Barrs Lane/Butts Lane area.  Here 15 Skylarks were seen over the stubble field and a flock of 60+ Linnets were perched in the Larches at the back of the Stone Manor grounds.

All in all a very enjoyable visit.  The funny thing is next time will probably be the opposite and I will hardly see any birds...but then that's part the fun of local patch birding, you just never know what you may see.

Green Woodpecker

Click on image to enlarge










Corn Bunting



Click on image to enlarge









 

4 comments:

  1. Lucky sod, Jason. Green Pecker is one species i long to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thats where all the birds are Jase.........you've got 'em all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful birds but, my favourite is the woodland mushroom, superb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dean...you want tp see the shots of Green Pecker I get in the summer months when they perch out posing on the fenceposts in the sunshine!

    Warren...I could perhaps spare you a couple!

    Bob - Cheers...I really like that fungi too...its got a strange green hue to it

    ReplyDelete