Monday 27th Dec 2010 - Bewdley

This morning I popped a couple of miles up the road to the River Severn at Bewdley. I decided to pop here to see the immature drake Smew that was found there yesterday by Craig Reed (http://www.midlandsbirder.blogspot.com/).

On arriving at the river I was greeted by good views of Kingfisher sitting in a bush near the Blackstone bridge and 17 Goosander flying down river. The river was almost completely frozen looking towards Blackstone but was free flowing going towards Bewdley. I managed to catch up with the Smew on the river near Bewdley School and it was a very showy bird. On the River I also saw another 2 Goosander, 4 Goldeneye, 3 Tutfed Ducks, 3 Little Grebes, 2 Mallards, a Canada Goose and a Grey Heron.

A Treecreeper was seen in the trees near Blackstone bridge and another was in the trees at the car park.

Smew - Bewdley, 27th December 2010:

7 comments:

  1. What a stunner Jase, classic bird in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Pics Jase, a nice momento. Must have just missed you, I was on the southbank 10-11.20 ish. The Goldeneye were a first for me to( and very smart), the Dipper's would have been a 'new' life tick as not seen one for 30 years, but I missed them, still a great morning, worth the effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Smew, it is nice that you had some photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks folks...Smews are stunning birds and well worth seeing if in the locality.

    Yes pity I missed you Mark. I didnt connect with the Dippers either.

    Its great that the thaw has begun...I can finally risk driving over to the lanes at shenstone and doing a good patch walk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im glad you got the shots you were after jase, stunners, best ones i have seen of the bird....
    and thanks for the mention :)
    but unfortunatly it looks like the bird wont be around for new years :(
    good while it lasted
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  6. its a coincidence that i just logged onto birding today, and the smew is now at trimpley, and my albino mandarin has returned to the same place :)
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks MB..and no probs about the mention, it was a great bird you found.

    I saw that on Birding Today as well..It could be a new year tick after all! I still wan tto catch up with that albino Mandarin, so I may pop down to Trimpley early next week.

    ReplyDelete