Tuesday 7th December 2010 - Shenstone

It has to be said that the patch looked simply stunning today as every single tree was covered by what can only be described as 'the mother of all hoar frosts'.

I started today at the Butts/Back Lane triangle where 4 Fieldfares, 2 Blackbirds and a Redwing were busy feeding on the Pyracantha hedge until being flushed by a ♀ Sparrowhawk. Also of note in this area was a single Common Buzzard perched in its usual tree at the back of Stone Manor.

I then parked up on Stanklyn Lane and walked a circuit through the beet field, down to Captains Pool and back. The beet field seemed fairly quiet with only 7 Linnets, 5 Dunnocks, a Robin, a Wren and a ♀ Kestrel noted. That was until c.120 Skylarks were flushed from the adjacent stubble by a dog walker whose pooch wasn't on a lead. The path down to Captains provided me with 12 Chaffinches, 6 Robins and a Jay. A ♀ Great Spotted Woodpecker was seen in the trees at the back of the pool.

On arrival at Captains pool I started scanning the alders and bingo! I finally managed to connect with some of the Siskins. In total there were 4 Siskins (1 adult ♂) along with 6 Goldfinches feeding in an alder by the dam. Seen on the pool were the usual Mallards, 60 Canada Geese, 17 Black-headed Gulls and 2 Moorhens.

On the walk back I noticed 2 small birds perched in the large tree that stands in the middle of the beat field. At first I thought Linnets but the on viewing them in the scope I could see that they were both Lesser Redpolls....result, they are fairly scarce birds on the patch with only a handful most winters.

Fieldfare - 7th December 2010:


Redwing - 7th December 2010:


Siskin - 7th December 2010:

Hoar Frost - The Beet Field:

6 comments:

  1. Well done on the Redpoll's, have tried for them a few times at UW but no luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and the that hoar frost has been awesome indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Mark. They can be tricky. The best place to see them locally is at Lineholt (between Stourport and Ombersley). The past few winters there has been flocks of between 100 and 200 Redpoll there and usaully a handful of Bramblings with the chaffinch flock. Itys a bit early yet but worth trying in January. I will keep you posted if I hear that they are there and let you know directions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Jason. That would be great. I was studying my audio CD in the car ( sad I know) on the daily schlep on Manor Way today to try and nail their song

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blimey, that really is some frost!

    Well done with the Siskin and Redpolls Jase :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Warren...I need a flyover Snipe next!

    ReplyDelete