Thursday 7th April 2011 - Shenstone

There was no sign of any of the Wagtails at Witch Lane early this morning, but 2 Curlew and 3 Brown Hares were present at Back Lane (TMH).

On covering the patch today it soon became apparent that it was more of a Warbler day.  I had my first Willow Warbler singing from the trees along Back Lane. A ♂ Blackcap was singing from a hedgerow along Witch Lane and another Blackcap was singing next to Heath Lane paddock.  I also heard 7 Chiffchaffs singing from a number of locations around the patch.

I also had 7 House Martins (another year first for me) that flew high over Stanklyn Lane heading NW.

When I scanned the sheep field at Back Lane (early afternoon) there were now 4 Brown Hares present, but there was no sign of Curlew.

Another Highlight of today's visit was seeing that the Great Crested Grebes on Captains Pool with at least 1 chick from this first brood.  The youngster's head kept popping up as it travelled around on its mothers back.  At one point it was even swimming in the pool for a short time.  Who knows there may have been another chick or two nestled on its parents back...I shall report back when I know more.  Also, whilst at the pool, I had a ♀ Brimstone butterfly fly by (2 in 2 days...cant be bad!).  A Great Spotted Woodpecker could be heard drumming nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment