Thursday 18th August 2011 - Out and about

Unfortunately I am without transport until the middle of next week (long story...I wont bore you with the details)...so I'm depending on the hospitality of my fellow local birders to help me out.  Today Terry very kindly picked me up so we could do some birding.

We started the rounds at the privately owned Westwood Great Pool, where Terry is a permit holder and I visited as his plus one.  Things where fairly quite at the pool although we did see 2 Green Sandpipers and 2 Common Sandpipers along the shoreline.

From Westwood we headed to Bittell Reservoirs.  We checked out Upper Bittell first only to have just missed a Hobby by seconds (doh!).  Still it was interesting to see how low the water levels were and we still managed to pick up 2 Yellow-legged Gulls.  There was little of note at Lower Bittell.

On our way back we headed to Shenstone...well it would be rude not too.  The adult Common Redstart was showing again at the Stanklyn Lane paddocks.  We now believe that the Redstart sightings this week have been of a family party (an adult , adult ♀ and an immature ) that have been showing individually or occasionally with one another all week.  Also of note were a flock of 60+ Linnets on the Heath Lane telegraph wires

All in all an enjoyable day...so thanks again to TMH.

Yellow-legged Gull 
 

2 comments:

  1. Not seen a Yellow-legged Gull for many a year now, Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Dean, I'm suprised. Although not thick on the ground they do seem to be becoming a more common sight in Worcestershire

    ReplyDelete