Saturday 17th December 2011 - Shenstone

I started my visit to the patch at Captains Pool.  The pool was almost completely frozen with a small area of water  being kept free by the circling Mallards.  21 Black-headed Gulls were stood on the ice and a Moorhen and a single Canada Goose were also present.  Also of note at Captains were 5 Siskin in the Alders, 2 Jays and 2 Redwing.

At Stanklyn Lane paddocks there were 3 Green Woodpeckers feeding on the deck.  Opposite, along the hedgerow of the carrot field, there were 6 Yellowhammers present.

Heath Lane paddock was very quiet with only 2 Robins, 2 Blackbirds and a Goldfinch of note.

At Willow Marsh Fishery 9 Cormorant, 1 Grey Heron and 5 Black-headed Gulls were recorded.  A Common Buzzard was over Witch Lane.

My final stop off was Barrs Lane/Butts Lane where I walked the public footpath a next to the stubble fields.  Whilst doing so I put up 70+ Skylark and 2 Meadow Pipits. In the trees at the back of Stone Manor were 25 Fieldfare.  Also, a Redwing flew over Butts Lane and a ♀ Kestrel was present near Eastfields Farm.  It was also interesting to see that the small drainage pond was starting to fill back up...so perhaps a bit more rain and it may be ok by the Summer for the dragonflies & damselflies.

Mallards on Ice - Captains  Pool

4 comments:

  1. One species that very rarely visits the lakes (pools really) on my patch is the B H Gull, jase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how certain fairly common species can be scarce on our respective patches Warren. In my case Bullfinch and Marsh Tit are real patch scarcities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very few winter Thrushes up here at the mo, Jason. They must have moved off to pastures new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There seems to be more Fieldfare about around my patch than Redwing at the mo Dean. Although if I am out and about on an evening, I'm still hearing them call as the fly over.

    ReplyDelete