Odds & Ends

I was just about to type up my latest blog entry for the patch when, on looking at my notebook, I noticed that I've got a few odds and ends that may be worth mentioning. So, I have decided to incorporate them all into this post.

Wednesday 2nd February - Brake Mill Pool, Hagley:
Today, 6 Goosander (all ♀), 10 Tufted Duck (5♂ & 5♀), 2 Mute Swans, 1 Little Grebe and 80+ Black-headed Gulls were on the pool. The usual Mallards, Canada Geese, Moorhens and Coots were also present.

Thursday 3rd February - Kidderminster:
2 Ravens were present again on Weaver's Wharf chimney stack at 10:15AM.

Saturday 5th February - Eymore Wood:

Today, my wife and I took the dog out for a walk at Eymore Woods near Trimpley. On reaching the clearing that allows you to view across the Arley estate we were greeted by the sight of a Goshawk that was up soaring on the breeze. Nearby, a Common Buzzard was also up, which allowed for a nice comparison in terms of size & shape. As the Goshawk came closer I could just make out the vermiculations on its uniformally light chest and even make out the dark eye stripe. I think that the bird was most likely female as it was only slightly smaller than the nearby Buzzard. All I can say is...I'm glad I decided to take my bins with me!

2 comments:

  1. It was good to see Warren but not on my patch I'm afraid!

    Historically they bred in that area for a number of years and I believe that there is/was a pair in the Shropshire side of the Wyre Forest a couple of miles away from this site.

    ReplyDelete