Sunday 6th Feb 2011 - Shenstone

I managed to grab some time around the patch today on what was a very cold, windy afternoon.

I started my travels at Witch Lane, which was probably the most productive area today. Whilst down by the old grainstores, a huge flock of winter thrushes dropped into the adjacent stubble. The flock went up on a couple of occasions and dropped back to ground enabling me to obtain an estimated count. In total there were c.400 Fieldfare & c.200 Redwing. Also feeding in the stubble were c.100 Starlings. A Cormorant flew over heading NW and a Coal Tit was calling from the conifers next to the grainstore.

I then moved on to Heath Lane, where 7 Linnets were on the telegraph wires next to the paddock. A Skylark was up singing at the model aircraft field and a Great Spotted Woodpecker was drumming on a tree next to the Islamic School playing fields. A Common Buzzard was also present.

Heath lane was followed by an uneventful walk from the Stanklyn Lane beet field to Summerfield. The only birds of note were 14 Chaffinch. Again, there was no sign of the Corn Buntings today.

I finished my tour at Stanklyn Lane paddocks which held 6 Redwing, 1 Mistle Thrush, a Green Woodpecker and a Goldfinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment